Smartphones are an essential part of our lives, and we depend on them for a lot of our daily tasks. Having a smartphone is fun, but you need to remember a few crucial details about it if you want to avoid inconvenience. Among other things, remembering account passwords is a challenging task. Whether you have an iPhone or an Android phone, forgetting passwords is common. However, it can be more frustrating in Apple gadgets because you usually have different devices connected to the same Apple ID. For instance, if you forget your Apple ID and password and your devices are synced, you won’t be able to use it on your iPad Air or a used iPhone 12 Pro Max.
Luckily, there are different ways to get your Apple ID back if you have forgotten the account ID and password. Below, we have discussed some of the most practical methods for retrieving your Apple ID.
How to Retrieve Your Apple ID and Password
If you have forgotten your Apple ID or password, you can go for multiple options. Below is a list of options you can select from and recover your Apple ID or password:
Retrieving Apple ID or Password with Your iPhone or iPad
You can use your iPad or iPhone for retrieving your Apple ID by following these steps:
- Click on your name at the top of your device’s settings, then tap on password and security. On top of the following menu, a change password option will appear.
- You need to write the password of your device with which you unlock your iPhone or iPad. Then, add a new password in the next screen field and click on change.
- By following the above procedure, your passcode will be changed, and you will need to re-enter your new password on your other Apple devices.
With Two-Factor Authentication
Either by using a device you have already approved or via a web browser, you can change your password if you have enabled two-factor authentication. Unfortunately, Apple does not provide you with the recovery key you set up before, and you will need to keep it safe and handy while setting it up for future use. To reset your Apple ID or password, you need to go to iForgot.apple.com. Add your Apple ID there, and tap continue. But instead of your device password, put the recovery key and click continue. By entering your new password twice and clicking continue or next – whatever is showing on the device – you are good to go.
By Using the iForgot Website
One of the most convenient options for rescuing your Apple ID or password is using the website. You can access the website anywhere at any time. All you need is an internet connection and any device. Follow the given procedure to recover your Apple ID or password:
- Put your Apple ID to get started by proceeding to iforgot.apple.com and then press continue.
- Then, you need to enter your device’s password, as prompted, then click continue.
- By continuing the above menu, a new screen will appear, and you need to enter your new password twice, then tap change or next, whatever is showing on your screen, depending on the device.
Accessing Through a Friend’s Device
Apple allows you to find your Apple ID or password through your friend’s device. If you do not have access to your own iPhone or iPad, you can request a friend to help you. They can help through the Apple Support app, available on the newer devices, or Find My iPhone, available on iOS 9 through 12.
For using the Apple Support app, your friend needs to install the app first, then press password and security after opening the app. After that, select the reset Apple ID password option afterward, click Get Started, and later on a different Apple ID. Enter your Apple ID, at last, set up a new password, and move forward until the confirmation message appears.
On the other hand, for using Find My iPhone, your friend needs to go into the app, and when prompted to sign in, they would need to make sure the Apple ID field is empty. Then they would need to tap on the Forgot Apple ID or password and follow the instructions shown on the screen.
Using Apple’s Account Recovery Feature
Another option for recovering your Apple ID or password if you have forgotten your details is the new recovery feature, which lets you reset your Apple ID through trusted contacts. Before using this feature, make sure to update all of your devices. Follow the given procedure to choose trusted contacts on an iPhone.
- Advance to the Settings app and click on your name at the top of the screen.
- After that, you need to tap on Password & Security.
- Then choose the Account Recovery option from the menu.
- Afterward, select Add Recovery Contact twice.
- Enter your Apple ID password and follow the prompts to select the desired recovery contacts.
Once that is set up, you simply call a trusted recovery contact from your iPhone if you get locked out or forget your Apple ID or password, and they will send you a code to get back in.