- Apple announced iOS 16 release at the Worldwide Developers Conference (WWDC) 2022
- iPhone users can expect plenty of new iOS 16 features to enhance their user experience
- On July 11, 2022, Apple seeded the first beta versions of iOS 16 and iPadOS
Apple has just released the iOS 16 beta, making it publicly available for developers and beta testers to try the new OS before releasing it officially in the fall. The most prominent reason for releasing a beta version of iOS 16 is to allow developers to test apps with the updated OS. It enables Apple to fix any bugs and improve its OS further before making it available to the public.
After the iOS 16 beta release, many iPhone users are wondering if their device is compatible with the new OS. Here we will take a look at the compatibility of the new OS and provide instructions on how to install it on your iPhone.
How to Install iOS 16 Beta on Your iPhone?
Installing the iOS 16 beta is a relatively simple process and can be done using either the Apple Developer Program or the public beta.
Here’s a step-by-step tutorial for installing the iOS 16 beta on your used iPhone XS Max or used iPhone 13 Pro Max.
1. Backup Your iPhone
Before beginning the download process, make sure you backup your iPhone. A backup keeps everything safe in case you need to revert to the stable iOS 15 version. Otherwise, you may risk getting your iPhone data erased.
2. Remove iOS 15 Beta
If you have iOS 15 beta installed on your device, you need to remove it before installing iOS 16. You can jump to the next step if your device doesn’t have the beta version for iOS 15 installed.
To remove the iOS 15 beta version from your iPhone:
- Go to General and click VPN & Device Management
- Select the iOS 15 configuration profile
- Tap Remove Profile
You will be asked to restart your device after confirmation.
3. Install the iOS 16 Beta Profile
To install the iOS 16 beta on your iPhone, follow these steps:
- After your iPhone has restarted, open the Safari browser and go to the Apple Beta Software Program website
- Choose the operating system you need (iOS 16 for iPhone and iPadOS 16 for iPad)
- Scroll down to click Get Started and enroll your iPhone
- On the next screen, go to section two, click the blue Download Profile button, and tap Allow on the pop-up window
- Open VPN & Device Management to install the downloaded iOS 16 profile
- Click on Install in the screen’s top-right corner
- Your device will restart and install the iOS 16 configuration profile
- After the device restarts, go to General and click Software Update
- Install the iOS 16 beta like any other system update and start exploring iOS 16 features
Will my iPhone Run iOS 16?
When Apple unveiled iOS 16, it announced that the new OS would be compatible with a number of iPhone models. Apple declared the new OS would run smoothly on most devices that are compatible with iOS 15. So, if you have an iPhone model that runs on iOS 15, you’ll be able to enjoy the new iOS.
However, iOS 16 won’t run on the following devices:
- iPhone SE
- iPhone 6
- iPhone 6s Plus
- iPod Touch
- iPhone 7
- iPhone 7 Plus
So, if you have any of these devices, you won’t be able to enjoy the all-new iOS 16. But if you really want to enjoy the new features, you can find used iPhones for sale to look for a model that’s compatible with iOS 16.
How to Find Your iPhone Model?
If you’re not sure which iPhone model you have, you can find out by going to Settings > General > About. You’ll see the iPhone model number listed next to Model.
Similarly, if you’re unsure about the iOS version on your device, you can check in Settings > Software Update. It will be mentioned right there, and if you have an update available, it will also notify you.
Which iPhone models are compatible with iOS 16?
iOS 16 is compatible with the following iPhones:
- iPhone 13
- iPhone 13 mini
- iPhone 13 Pro
- iPhone 13 Pro Max
- iPhone 12
- iPhone 12 mini
- iPhone 12 Pro
- iPhone 12 Pro Max
- iPhone 11
- iPhone 11 Pro
- iPhone 11 Pro Max
- iPhone XS
- iPhone XS Max
- iPhone XR
- iPhone X
- iPhone 8
- iPhone 8 Plus
- iPhone SE (2nd generation and later)
Is iOS 16 beta safe to install on my device?
There is always a risk when installing any beta software on your device, as it may contain bugs that could potentially cause issues with your device. However, if you are comfortable taking that risk, installing the iOS 16 beta should not pose any major problems.
Just be sure to back up your device before installing the beta in case you need to roll back to a previous version.
Apple releases a beta version of every new iOS version for developers and beta testers. It allows them to identify bugs and glitches before releasing the update officially. Since iOS 16 is out, testers are using the features before all users do to report if they work smoothly with the compatible devices.If you have an iOS 16 compatible iPhone, you can also go for testing the beta version. Or you can wait until Apple releases the official version to avoid mishaps and risky business with your new or used iPhones.