Many people switch their iPhones regularly to stay up to date and enjoy the latest features introduced by Apple. But before switching to the newest model and selling your old iPhone, you must wipe its data to protect your privacy. If you don’t erase the data on your iPhone, it can end up in the wrong hands and runs the risk of being misused. Many people consider erasing iPhone data a hectic chore, while others don’t know how to do it. This guide will make sure you learn how to delete your data from the iPhone as quickly and efficiently as possible. So, continue reading to learn more about removing data before putting your used iPhone for sale.
Backing Up and Erasing iPhone Data
Before erasing the files on your iPhone, you may want to backup your data. It is essential for those who want to keep the data and restore it on their next iPhone. You can skip these steps if you don’t want to access old data on your new iPhone.
You can restore data on a brand new, used, or refurbished iPhone in a few easy steps (that we have discussed later in the guide). So, you can buy a used iPhone without worrying about losing your data.
Now, let’s start the backup process.
How to Backup Your iPhone on iOS
You can set your iCloud to backup your data automatically on a daily basis. But before selling your old iPhone, make sure you run a manual backup to keep everything up to date.
Before starting the backup process on your iPhone, connect it to Wi-Fi and plug the charger in to run the process smoothly.
Now, follows these steps to backup your iPhone on iOS:
- Open the Settings app on the iPhone from the home screen
- Tap your name and select iCloud
- Scroll down to the iCloud Backup option
- Tap Back Up Now and manually backup your iPhone
After the iPhone completes backing up, you can check its success. Open the iCloud menu in the Settings app and select Manage Storage and then Backups.
How to Backup Your iPhone on a Computer
When it comes to backing up your iPhone via computer, you have two options:
To back up your iPhone via MacOS, connect the two with each other. You can connect them physically through the charging cable or use the Wi-Fi Syncing feature to do it wirelessly.
After your iPhone is connected to the macOS, follow these steps to back it up:
- Open Finder and locate your iPhone on the left sidebar
- Tap General at the top of the window
- Choose the option saying backup all your data to this Mac
- You can also encrypt this backup by selecting the option to encrypt a local backup and entering a password
- Tap Back Up Now
Via Windows PC
To backup your used iPhone 13 Pro Max or an older model using a Windows PC, connect the two and follow these steps:
- Open the iTunes app and find your iPhone near the top left of the window
- Click on the iPhone and select Summary
- In the Backups section, choose Back Up Now
- Encrypt the backup by selecting Encrypt Local Backup and setting a password
How to Erase Your Data Using Your iPhone
You can easily erase the data from your used or refurbished iPhone 13 Pro Max or any other model by following these steps:
- Open the Settings app and select General
- Scroll to the end of the page and select Reset
- Choose the option that says erase all content and settings and tap Erase Now
- Enter your iPhone passcode
- Type your Apple ID password to shut off Activate Lock and remove your phone from Find My iPhone
- Keep the iPhone turned on until it completes the process before pressing the power button
How to Erase Your iPhone Data Using a Computer
Erasing the used or refurbished iPhone data is also possible through the computer. The steps differ on each operating system, so follow the steps according to your system’s requirements.
After connecting your iPhone to the Mac, follow these steps:
- Open Finder and find your iPhone in the left sidebar
- Tap on your iPhone and choose General at the top of the window
- Click Restore iPhone
- Follow the onscreen prompts to complete the process
Using Windows PC
Erasing the data from your iPhone through your PC is relatively similar to the backup process. Follow these steps to complete the process:
- Open iTunes and click the iPhone button close to the window’s top left
- Select Summary and Restore iPhone
- Follow the screen prompts to complete the restore process
Erasing iPhone Data Without a Password
Did you forget your iPhone password? Worry not because you can still erase its data before putting your used iPhone for sale. The process is slightly different from the standard one, but it is also easy and quick.
To erase your iPhone data without a password, you’ll need a computer. Your Windows PC should be running Windows 8 or later, and it should have iTunes installed on it. The data deletion process will also require your iPhone cable.
After unplugging your iPhone and turning it off, you’ll put it in the recovery mode using a button from the side, volume down, or home button, depending on the model. If you’re using an iPhone 13 Pro Max, you’ll be using the side button for this purpose.
Press and hold the side button while connecting the iPhone to your computer. Keep holding the button until you see the recovery-mode screen. When this screen appears, you can let go and follow the process.
After this, you should also remove your iPhone from your Trusted Devices list on your Apple ID.
Now that your data has been backed up and erased from your iPhone, you can sell it to a trusted reseller or use a third-party app to sell it online. After selling your old iPhone, you may want to get your hands on an upgraded model. If you’re going to buy used iPhones or get your hands on refurbished iPhone models, consider reliable retailers like Phone Daddy.
At Phone Daddy, you will find a wide collection of used Apple and Android devices. You can take your pick and enjoy our smooth delivery process with an amazing return policy and a 1-year warranty. We rigorously check our devices before showcasing them on our website, so you can rest assured about the quality of our products.