Apple's annual App Store Awards are like the Oscars for the mobile world, a time to celebrate the apps and games that have captivated us, challenged us, and, well, sometimes just made us laugh at dancing emojis. As the confetti settles this year, we’re here to delve into the winners, spotlight some hidden gems, and ponder the trends that shone through in 2023.
Apps that Elevate Everyday
These apps empower you to express your creativity, expand your horizons, and stay on top of your fitness goals, making every day a little more fulfilling.
- iPhone App of the Year: AllTrails: Ditch the map and embrace the wilderness with AllTrails, your new hiking buddy. Curated routes, offline guidance, and a vibrant community make conquering that peak all the sweeter.
- iPad App of the Year: Prêt-à-Makeup: Channel your inner Picasso (with a dash of glam) on your iPad. Prêt-à-Makeup's virtual canvas and pro-grade tools let you experiment with looks, learn new techniques, and unleash your inner makeup maestro.
- Mac App of the Year: Photomator, from UAB Pixelmator Team: Elevate your photo editing game with Photomator. This powerful yet user-friendly app boasts impressive tools for enhancing, retouching, and managing your photos, making it perfect for casual photographers and creative professionals alike.
- Apple TV App of the Year: MUBI, from MUBI, Inc.: Immerse yourself in the world of cinema with MUBI. This curated streaming service offers a unique selection of independent, classic, and international films, with a new handpicked title added daily. Dive deep into the works of acclaimed directors, discover hidden gems, and expand your cinematic horizons.
- Apple Watch App of the Year: SmartGym, from Mateus Abras: Get fit and stay motivated with SmartGym. This comprehensive workout app offers personalized training plans, real-time coaching, and detailed workout tracking, all on your wrist. Whether you're a seasoned athlete or just starting out, SmartGym helps you reach your fitness goals.
Games that Transport Us
Whether you're seeking a grim challenge or a whimsical escape, these games invite you to journey to captivating worlds and immerse yourself in unforgettable experiences.
- iPhone Game of the Year: Honkai: Star Rail: Blast through galaxies in this stunning RPG. Stellar visuals, a gripping story, and heart-pounding action make Honkai: Star Rail a journey you won't want to miss (just maybe take a break for space-walks).
- iPad Game of the Year: Lost in Play: This whimsical puzzle adventure is a balm for the soul. Explore a world built from childhood memories, solve charming puzzles, and rediscover the magic of imagination.
- Mac Game of the Year: Lies of P: Unravel a dark mystery in this challenging action RPG inspired by the classic tale of Pinocchio. Master the art of lying to manipulate your surroundings and enemies, and uncover the truth hidden within the city of Krat.
- Apple Arcade Game of the Year: Hello Kitty Island Adventure: Embark on a delightful adventure with Hello Kitty and friends as you explore a colorful island filled with fun activities, heartwarming stories, and adorable surprises.
Beyond the Podium: Hidden Gems
- Unpacking: Unwrap more than just boxes in this meditative unpacking simulator. Each object tells a story, and slowly piecing together someone's life is strangely comforting.
- Too Good To Go: This app tackles food waste and saves you money, a win-win! Rescue delicious, unsold restaurant meals at a fraction of the price, all while helping the planet. Bonus points for discovering hidden culinary gems!
- Pok Pok: This playful sandbox game invites children to explore a colorful world at their own pace. With no goals or objectives, Pok Pok fosters curiosity, creativity, and independent thinking, making it a delightful learning experience for young minds.
- Proloquo: This powerful communication tool empowers non-verbal individuals to express themselves freely. Proloquo's intuitive interface and vast symbol library offer a voice to those who need it most, bridging the gap between worlds and fostering inclusivity.
- Finding Hannah: Embark on a heartwarming adventure in this narrative-driven puzzle game. Help a young girl named Kumi find her lost dog Hannah, and unravel a deeper story of friendship, loss, and the power of perseverance along the way.
A Year of Creativity and Impact
2023's App Store Awards were a testament to the power of apps to spark creativity, connect us with nature, and even tackle social issues. We saw apps empower self-expression, like Prêt-à-Makeup, and challenge perspectives, like Lost in Play. Apps like Too Good To Go show that technology can be a force for good.
As we step into 2024, we’re excited to see what innovative apps and games emerge. Will AR finally take center stage? Will AI redefine gaming experiences? One thing's for sure: Apple's App Store remains a fertile ground for creativity, and we can't wait to see what next year's awards have in store.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the best app of the year 2023?
Determining one best app is subjective, but 2023 awards recognized AllTrails (iPhone) for outdoor adventures, Prêt-à-Makeup (iPad) for virtual makeup artistry, Photomator (Mac) for user-friendly photo editing, MUBI (Apple TV) for curated indie and classic cinema, and SmartGym (Apple Watch) for personalized fitness coaching.
How many apps are in the App Store 2023?
The exact number of apps in the App Store in 2023 depends on the exact date you're looking at, as apps are constantly being added and removed. However, as of the end of 2023, estimates for the total number of apps in the App Store range from 1.76 million to 1.96 million apps. The vast number of apps available across various categories reflects the ever-growing popularity and potential of mobile app development and usage.
Will there be another App Store Awards next year?
Yes, there will be another App Store Awards next year. The 2023 winners showcased outstanding apps and games, emphasizing innovation and creativity.
Can I nominate an app or game for next year's Apple App Store Awards?
No, Apple doesn't currently have a public nomination process for the App Store Awards. Instead, they have a team of editors and experts who curate a shortlist of nominees based on various factors like innovation, design, user experience, and cultural impact. They also encourage you to share your favorite apps and games on social media using the #AppleAwards hashtag.
So, what are your thoughts on the 2023 App Store Awards? Did your favorite app make the cut? What trends are you excited about for the future of mobile apps? Share your thoughts in the comments below!