- Free time is a hot commodity these days for people slaving away their lives in monotonous 9-to-5 jobs.
- Structuring your day to save lots of time and spend it doing something productive increases your well-being and life satisfaction.
- The problem is we waste our precious free time doing things that don’t make us happy, like mindlessly scrolling through social media apps.
Wake up, get ready, eat breakfast, go to work, guzzle six and a half coffee mugs, stare at your PC’s screen for eight (ish) hours, get back home, curse the commute, lie in your bed, scroll through social media or change TV channels, eat dinner, brush your teeth, and go to sleep. What in the seven skies is this, you ask? This is the everyday routine of your average corporate slave. Super monotonous, ultra-tedious, and mind-numbingly dull.
The world is moving fast, and those who don’t move with it are left behind. If you keep spending your days the exact same way 24/7/365, you’ll miss out on life and become the ultimate personification of eat, sleep, work, repeat.
An average American adult has about 36 to 40 hours of free time per week. So, try to be productive instead of wasting your precious free time lying around and doing nothing. And we’re here to tell you how to be more productive in your free time.
101 Productive Things To Do In Your Free Time
Being productive is easy, and we’ve compiled an exhaustive list of about 101 productive things that you can do in your leisure time. All these activities are super-fun, and you learn something when doing them.
But the most productive things anyone can do in their free time are:
- Get organized.
- Work on physical and mental health.
- Unplug and de-stress.
- Learn new skills.
- Get into DIY projects and new hobbies.
- Spend time with family and friends.
- Watch something exciting and informative.
- Journal, blog, or vlog.
How to Spend Your Free Time after Office 👨💼
When you get home from the office, the first thought in your mind is to get into your bed, take out your iPhone 12 Pro Max unlocked, and start scrolling through social media apps. While it can be a good relaxant, this isn’t the best use of your free time.
Try one of these productive ways to spend your free time after work:
- Start a DIY project at home.
- Plan and prepare meals for the week.
- Go for a swim.
- Volunteer in an outdoor activity.
- Participate in online groups or discussion forums.
- Learn and practice an instrument.
- Host a game night.
- Visit an exhibit or gallery.
- Watch a documentary.
- Create a scrapbook.
Best Ways to Spend Your Free Time in College 👨🎓
Being in college is not just about attending classes every day and scoring well on your exam. College life is full of new experiences you shouldn’t miss because you’re busy looking down on your Google Pixel 6.
If you have spare time after completing your assignments, try one of these activities to be more productive in your leisure:
- Write, blog, or podcast.
- Learn a new language.
- Take a course to polish your skills.
- Play brain games to sharpen your memory (check out the best iPhones for gaming in 2022).
- Volunteer at your campus or community.
- Get an internship.
- Socialize and network to meet new people.
- Go for a hike or a walk in nature.
- Get in a club.
- Start a new hobby.
What Fortune 500 CEOs Do in Their Free Time 👩💼
A lot of people have this misconception that the CEOs of multinational companies don’t have a life. It’s simply untrue; in fact, studies have shown that CEOs who run marathons exhibit better company performance.
If you’re a CEO (or you want to be one in the future), don’t take your leisure for granted and try these productive activities:
- Do yoga.
- Catch up with friends and family.
- Have some tech-free time.
- Set up your own blog.
- Learn to play an instrument.
- Read a good book.
- Draw, paint, or sketch.
- Watch infotainment vlogs.
- Write thank you notes to colleagues.
- Have some self-time.
How to Spend Free Time as a Mom 🦸♀️
Being a mom is a full-time job, especially if you’re a new mommy. Between diaper changing, feeding, and putting your baby down to nap, there’s not much time left to enjoy. But with careful planning, you can save some precious moments for yourself.
Here’s how mommies can spend their free time:
- Take a long, hot bath with salts and essential oils.
- Binge on your favorite TV show.
- Make a hot beverage and enjoy it alone.
- Read a book.
- Shop weekly groceries.
- Hit the spa.
- Finish a DIY craft project.
- Have a mom’s night out with friends.
- Catch up on social media posts.
- Meditate or go for a run.
Things to Do During Your Free Time as a Dad 👨
It’s not easy being a super-dad. You work all day and then get home to your little ones. While family time is essential, you need to spend some time on your own to feel alive.
Here are some productive things to try in your spare time:
- Read – a physical book or an ebook on your used Samsung Galaxy S20 FE 5G.
- Spend quality time with friends.
- Exercise and meditate.
- Take a weekend trip into the woods.
- Organize your tools.
- Clean the garage.
- Complete a weekend DIY project.
- Watch tech videos to learn about new gadgets. (Phone Daddy has some super-cool content on their YouTube channel.
- Learn a new skill.
- Clear the weeds from your garden.
What Do Teachers Do in their Free Time? 👩🏫
- Start a YouTube channel with a used iPhone 13 Pro Max. (Check out this blog to learn how iPhone 13 Pro Max can take your vlogging to the next level).
- Research and stay informed about current affairs.
- Tidy up your workspace.
- Bake cookies with your kids.
- Visit a museum.
- Listen to your favorite podcaster.
- Attend educational conferences and webinars.
- Learn new ways to keep students engaged in class.
- Visit a salon or spa.
- Mentor a new teacher or student.
Ways Successful People Spend Their Free Time 🤑
- Exercise, yoga, and meditation.
- Read books and periodicals.
- Take a crash course about any skill.
- Volunteer at a community center.
- Provide mentorship to young professionals.
- Attend networking events.
- Have a hobby.
- Give time to family and friends.
- Plan a vacation (but first, learn how to prepare your smartphone for international travel).
- Manage stress and work pressure through mindfulness.
What Celebrities Do in Their Free Time🕺💃
- Make TikTok videos (check out the best phones to make TikTok videos in 2022).
- Play video games (Mila Kunis plays World of Warcraft).
- Collect rare or weird things (Angelina Jolie has a collection of daggers, and Tom Hanks has a fully developed collection of typewriters).
- Indulge in extreme sports (Cameron Diaz loves snowboarding).
- Cook, bake or make something (Beyoncé makes her own honey – Queen B for a reason).
- Take photos (Patti Smith is also a photographer).
- Have a hobby (Meryl Streep knits).
- Paint something or learn how to paint (George W. Bush paints).
- Go outdoors and explore nature (Jack Dorsey loves hiking).
- Do something for an adrenaline rush (Gina Rodriguez boxes).
How Can a Couch Potato Be More Productive 🧖
If you’re a couch potato who wants to do something productive, here are a few ideas for you:
- Do ten pushups.
- Read two pages.
- Meditate for five minutes.
- Delete unnecessary phone apps.
- Write for 30 minutes.
- Talk to one family member or friend.
- Do a 5-minute craft project.
- Allot 10 minutes learning a new thing every day.
- Focus on one task at a time.
- Eat one healthy meal every day.
Bonus Tip to Be More Productive
Now that we’ve shared 100 productive ways to spend your free time, it’s time for bonus tip 101: start small. You can accomplish way more in less time by setting achievable goals and making reasonable to-do lists.
We hope this detailed guide helps you become more productive by utilizing your spare time more positively. Making your free time more fruitful is your responsibility if you don’t want to fall into a life of monotony and dullness.